Policies & Procedures
Our experienced and creative staff can help you develop a cohesive theme and provide just the right atmosphere for your event. In addition to our food and service, we coordinate linen and floral arrangements, event rentals, special decorations and audio/visual services. We also collaborate with many University departments and approved vendors to help meet your event needs. Simply inquire with your Sales and Event Manager for more details.
When you finalize your catering delivery or event, we will provide you with an event order that covers the specific details as well as your rights and responsibilities. In the meantime, please see the information below for important things to know as we work together to plan your event.
Our experienced team of Sales and Event Managers are on hand to help meet the catering and event needs of your next occasion. For a smooth process, we recommend booking your event as early as possible. Orders and inquiries for event space may be placed by contacting us by phone at (310) 825-7021, via e-mail at email@example.com.
We require a minimum notice of seven (7) business days for any event requiring attendants. Orders received after 3:30 p.m. are dated the next business day and may incur additional fees for expedited service, if applicable (e.g., an additional $50 rush delivery fee per order, or additional $100 per order for served events).
Delivery orders can usually be accommodated with three (3) business day notice prior to the event date. Rest assured that we will make every effort to accommodate your catering requests. Again, it is best to provide as much advance notice as possible.
Once a catering order is placed with us, you will receive a confirmation e-mail outlining all the details of your order. University clients using a recharge account will be automatically billed after the conclusion of the event. Clients not using a university recharge account are required to pay the full balance seven (7) business days prior to their event.
Any catering deliveries or events booked less than seven (7) business days from the event date are required to pay by credit card using our online payment service. Non-university clients are subject to sales tax.
Please note that a signed confirmation of your event order must be submitted to the UCLA Catering Office no later than 48 hours prior to a delivery, or 72 hours prior to a served event.
The following are minimum requirements for any food and beverage orders:
- A minimum order of $100 is required for weekday deliveries on the UCLA campus.
- A minimum order of $5,000 is required for Saturday and Sunday evening events held in the Grand Horizon and Palisades Ballroom.
- A minimum order of $3,000 is needed for deliveries and $5,000 minimum for events scheduled on Sundays.
- Requests for deliveries held on UCLA recognized holidays must meet a $5000 minimum and are subject to approval from UCLA Catering.
- Requests for events held on UCLA recognized holidays must meet a $7,000 minimum and are subject to approval from UCLA Catering.
A $50 fee will be assessed for any after-hours delivery or pick-up (Monday through Friday, before
7:00 a.m. or after 7:00 p.m.; weekends after 5:00 p.m.).
A $30 return trip fee will be assessed for any delivery or pick-up due to inaccessibility (e.g., locked rooms, meetings running late, or any other reason our equipment is not readily available for pick-up at the previously agreed upon time).
A $25 processing fee will be assessed for any changes made to orders within 24 hours of the event.
Please note that a Final Guarantee of Attendance is required five (5) business days prior to the event date and/or three (3) business days prior to your delivery date. If a final guarantee is not received within this time period, we will use the guarantee provided on the Banquet Event Order. Please note that this number will be considered a guarantee and not subject to reduction. Any increases to your guarantee are subject to approval based on the stated deadlines above.
All catered events are subject to the policies, procedures, and guidelines set by UCLA Catering. UCLA Catering must be notified in writing of any menu item cancellations in order to avoid cancellation charges. Events cancelled will be subject to the following charge:
- Fourteen (14) business days prior to event date — 25% of total Food & Beverage Revenue
- Ten (10) business days prior to event date: — 50% of total Food & Beverage Revenue
- Seven (7) business days prior to event date — 75% of total Food & Beverage Revenue
- Five (5) business days prior to event date — 100% of total Event Order Revenue (to include Meeting Room, Audio-Visual, any rental equipment, floral arrangements, etc.)
Room cancellations — please refer to the signed room contract.
Served meals are priced for a minimum of 20 guests and include china, glass and silverware, table linens, hot beverages, iced tea, and iced water. Service attendants are included for up to two (2) hours, after which overtime charges will apply.
Buffets are priced for a minimum of 30 guests and include china or melamine buffet serve ware with disposable tableware, hot beverages, iced tea and iced water. Service attendants are included for up to two (2) hours, after which overtime charges will apply. China service outside of our facilities will be an extra $3.50 per person. Please inform your Sales Manager of your event timeline, so that meal service can be timed accordingly.
We require that adequate staging facilities be made available to our catering staff. Please ensure that the event location and staging area is accessible a minimum of two (2) hours prior to event start time. We reserve the right to inspect your event and staging area in advance.
In order to provide the best service possible, UCLA Catering will assist in determining the appropriate level of staffing needed for your reception and/or any à la carte meal that does not include service attendants. Please note that UCLA Catering employees may not accept gratuities.
Depending on the needs of your event, additional attendant fees may apply and are listed below:
- UCLA Catering offers up to two (2) hours of service at a rate of $120 per attendant for events that do not already include staffing services.
- Up to two (2) hours of service by a Beverage Attendant is available at $120 per attendant for events with a bar setup.
- An hourly rate of $30 per attendant will be charged for any overtime staffing required in excess of two (2) hours.
Table and chair rentals for events not being held at UCLA Catering facilities (De Neve Plaza, Carnesale Commons or Sunset Village) are available through the UCLA Events Office. Please call (310) 825-5959 for more details. We ask that all tables and chairs be set up prior to the scheduled arrival of our catering staff. Additional charges may be applied if any assistance with setup, such as moving furniture, is required.
Outdoor events require that waste and recycling receptacles be made accessible to attendees. Please contact UCLA Facilities Management directly at (310) 206-3041 to make any necessary arrangements.
To ensure a successful delivery, we ask that you provide building access and/or an unlocked delivery location at least 30 minutes prior to the event start time, as shown on the banquet event order. Adequate loading and parking arrangements must be confirmed prior to delivery. If there is no parking available, clients will be charged an attendant fee to stay with the vehicle.
Please note that UCLA Catering does not provide tables for deliveries. Clients are asked to arrange for table setup or adequate counter space to be made available 30 minutes prior to the event start time. In an effort to be sustainable, table linens are not included with standard delivery orders. For your convenience, we offer rentable linens at a cost of $6.25 per standard table cover. Alternatively, we offer eco-friendly and disposable linens at $3.50 per six-foot table cover. China service is not available on deliveries.
We ask that our clients ensure the safeguarding of all UCLA Catering property and equipment dropped off at the event/delivery site. Any lost, stolen, or damaged equipment is subject to additional fees (no more than replacement value) and will be charged to the client’s master bill.
In compliance with health code regulations, perishable food items can only be presented for a maximum of four hours. Due to inventory controls, UCLA Catering’s equipment must be picked up within a four-hour period. It is our policy to pick up any equipment on loan within a one-hour window following the event end time, as indicated on the banquet event order.
Please also make note of the following terms and conditions:
- UCLA Catering is not responsible for any clean-up after an event. We will only pick up the equipment on loan.
- For any deliveries to outdoor or public areas, please ensure that the client or a department representative be present to receive the delivery and provide supervision prior to and during the event.
- Adequate loading and/or parking must be available for all Westwood deliveries.
- A $50 Long-Haul Fee will be assessed for any delivery without loading, parking, or elevator accessibility.
- For any large delivery set-ups, additional Delivery Assistants may be required as determined by your Sales Manager at a flat rate of $25 per assistant.
In addition to the policies and procedures highlighted above that apply to all UCLA Catering orders, the following is additional information relating to events booked in UCLA Catering facilities in Covel Commons, Carnesale Commons, De Neve Plaza, and the Northwest Campus Auditorium.
To avoid meeting room cancellation charges, you must notify us in writing sixty (60) days prior to your event.
Meeting rooms cancelled after this time are subject to the following charges:
- 50% of balance of meeting room rental if cancelled less than sixty (60) days prior to event
- 75% of balance of meeting room rental if cancelled less than thirty (30) days prior to event
- 100% of balance of meeting room rental, A/V, catering, and set-up charges if cancelled less than five (5) business days prior to event.
UCLA Catering maintains an in-house inventory of audio-visual equipment. This equipment is offered to clients on a first-come, first-served basis. All A/V equipment must be ordered seven (7) business days prior to your event. Final arrangements and any changes must be made three (3) business days prior to your event. If we need to rent additional equipment due to high demand, additional charges will apply. You may bring your own A/V equipment, however, it is your group’s sole responsibility and subject to daily set-up charges. Please note that UCLA Catering is not liable for any theft or malfunctioning of outside A/V equipment brought in for an event.
In effort to maintain the highest standards for quality, no outside food or beverages may be brought into UCLA’s Conference facilities. These include Covel Commons, Carnesale Commons, De Neve Plaza and the Northwest Campus Auditorium. All food and beverages served at an event must be provided by UCLA Catering. Our policy also strictly prohibits the removal of food from any catered function by any attendee.
If you plan to serve alcoholic beverages at an event being held at one of our facilities, please note the following terms and conditions:
- UCLA Catering is prohibited from any purchasing or selling of alcoholic beverages. Your Sales Manager will gladly facilitate the ordering of wine and beer through a third-party purveyor and arrange for it to be directly billed to you. Alternatively, you may wish to provide your own alcoholic beverages. There is a special handling charge of $24 per case, plus hourly attendant charges.
- We require that all beverages be dispensed by one of our trained servers and/or Beverage Attendants.
- We will request proper identification from any person of questionable age and refuse alcoholic beverage service to minors, or those who cannot provide valid proof that they are of legal drinking age (21 years or older).
- We reserve the right to refuse alcoholic beverage service to any person, who, in UCLA Catering’s judgment, appears intoxicated.
- If you would like a full bar set up, either cash or hosted, we can direct you to an off-campus vendor. Please ask your UCLA Catering Sales and Event Manager for details.
Non-UCLA clients must submit a Certificate of Insurance or a letter of self-insurance to UCLA Catering at least ten (10) business days prior to your event. The insurance coverage must indicate:
- The Regents of the University of California specifically named as additionally insured
- Policy dates covering the period of your event
- Minimum coverage as specified in your UCLA Catering contract.
If your event includes service of alcoholic beverages, your UCLA Catering Sales Manager will work with you to determine if any additional insurance coverage is needed for your event.
If your event requires the storage and handling of convention materials, please be sure to notify your Sales Manager one month in advance of your event date – please have pertinent information ready such as delivery and setup schedule, shipping and receiving needs, and quantity of boxes expected to be received by UCLA Catering.
Due to limited storage space, boxes must be delivered no earlier than 72 hours prior to your event date. All received boxes must be sent to the attention of your Sales Manager with the event name and event date referenced on each box. There is a $10 per box handling fee for any boxes received at our facility. Client is responsible for removing all packages and materials from the venue at the close of the event. A clean-up fee may be applicable if items are left behind.
Pre-approved signage is permitted in registration areas and immediately outside function rooms. Any additional locations must be approved in advance by your Sales Manager. We request that all signage, displays, and/or exhibit setups are of professional nature and quality, and that they conform to Los Angeles County Fire Code regulations.
In order to safeguard university property, UCLA Catering prohibits the use of nails, staples, push pins, and/or tape to adhere any type of signage or displays to walls, furniture, or any part of our facilities. In the event these items are used without prior authorization and damage to university property is caused as a result, all repair, clean-up, and/or replacement costs will be charged to the client’s master bill. Your Sales Manager can facilitate the rental of easels to display your signage.
Please note that UCLA Catering is not responsible for the retention or removal of any signs, banners, and/or decorations. In addition, we are not liable for the security of our clients’ audiovisual equipment, whether owned or rented, or any other special equipment used during the event.
If you wish to film or photograph an event at UCLA, you must obtain a permit from UCLA Events Office. Please inform your UCLA Catering Sales and Event Manager at least ten (10) business days prior to your event if filming will occur at your event. Groups filming or photographing events must follow permit guidelines and your group’s photographers must carry a copy of the permit with them at all times.